The 4th and final workshop for our intrepid travelers occurred today. Picture here from L to R: Sophie, York, Renae, Alex and Sam who are heading to Canada, USA, Ireland, USA and Denmark respectively.
Welcome to the BTLH team — and the ozstudentsabroad.com blog.
Below is Elise getting ready for her semester in Italy. The group reflected on their predeparture kaleidoscope of emotions — euphoria, anxiety, curiosity and delight. Have fun!!! And we hope it is a life changing event.
Another bunch of enthusiastic and energetic students getting ready for their sojourn to Canada, Spain, Switzerland, UK and USA. Enjoy your study abroad experience!
Students at the University of Wollongong doing a photo workshop before departing for the United States, Ireland, Germany and the UK.
From left to right: Assoc. Prof. Tonia Gray (holding Davina’s photo), Hayley, Kiara, Joshua, Michael, Emma, and Dr. Greg Downey (from Macquarie).
Also — in Canada — people have no idea what I’m talking about half the time, mostly the slang they cannot cope with, I didnt expect it to be so pronounced, Tuna and Tuesday we pronounce like Chuna Chuesday.
Also had thanksgiving dinner recently which was awesome! Pumpkin pie was so good, but pumpkin is not considered a savory vegetable here, they don’t eat it with roast dinners at all.
Other weird things
– They never ever go barefoot
– Classrooms are much quieter and no one talks to each other, I think there is a lot more respect for professors.
– Final exams are worth alot less marks, they have alot more assignments and the final invigilators are professors from the subject
– Classes are mon wed fri or tues thurs.
– Tax and tipping… makes it hard to give correct change
– Beaches in Vancouver have logs on them to lean on.
– Everything has peanut butter in it
Now this is new — Coupons that you redeem for CASH at clubs… there are two that I’ve seen in Edmonton and its insane that they give you money at the door, Hudsons is a 10min walk from my room and I can get 10 bucks every tues, fri and sat. Its $30 a week that Ienjoy…. Apparently it is how they get around liquor laws cause they cant sell drinks too cheap.